Are You Entitled to Free School Meals?16:16, 03 May 2012
Recent changes to the benefits system means that parents need to check whether or not they are entitled to free school meals.
You may qualify if your child attends a Nottinghamshire County Council School or Nursery full time (in line with the school’s published admission arrangements) and you receive one of the following benefits:
- Income support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit, but not Working Tax Credit and your yearly income, as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs, is not more than £16,190
- Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
In addition, if you are receiving one of the above payments your children will be entitled to free milk in school if they are aged seven and under (there is no age limit for children attending special schools).
Claire Wilcoxson from Nottinghamshire County Council’s free school meals team, said: "New parents in the nursery or school system should check if they are entitled to free meals or school milk asa they situations may have changed in recent months.”
Parents receiving any of these benefits should call 01623 433009 to check on if they meet the criteria.