Council Tax contributes towards the cost of services provided by:
- Nottinghamshire County Council
- Nottinghamshire Police Authority ( www.nottinghamshire.police.uk)
- Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service ( www.notts-fire.gov.uk)
- your District Council
- your Parish or Town Council (if you have one)
- Doctors’ surgeries and hospitals
- social security and benefits
- major roads (like motorways)
- the Environment Agency
are not paid for by Council Tax.
Listed below are some examples of the kinds of services provided by different councils.
|County Council||District Council||Parish Council|
|Social Services (old people's homes, meals on wheels, home helps, children's homes, social workers, day centres etc)||Parks, leisure centres, swimming pools etc||Village halls and community facilities|
|Libraries||Collecting Council Tax||Footpaths and bridleways|
|Roads||Pest control||Parks and open spaces|
|Country parks||Public conveniences|
|Trading Standards||Car parks|
|Registrars (births, marriages, deaths)||War memorials and other monuments|
For more information about the different councils and council services in Nottinghamshire, see our information on Local Councils.
If you live in the city of Nottingham, then all of your council services are provided by Nottingham City Council. See their website at: www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk for information about Council Tax and council services in the city of Nottingham.