This page links you to a wide range of resources about dementia. The information is grouped into:
We also have information aimed at people with dementia and their carers.
If you have any dementia information or tools that you would like to share with others please contact us.
E-learning for healthcare
The NHS have produced a useful e-learning package about dementia. It provides information on recognising, assessing and managing dementia and providing high quality care. To access the e-learning you will need a registration number which all employers who provide National Minimum Data Set - Social Care information will have.
Free online training
Raise your dementia awareness with some free e-learning:
- Identify the early signs
- Find out about the different conditions
- Learn where to go for support and information
To access the e-learning, you need to:
- Go to www.kwango.com.
- The first time you log in, click on Create an Account (underneath the Username and Password boxes) and fill in the details as requested.
- Use your first name and surname as your Username.
- Use notts236 in the organisation code box.
- Once you are logged in you need to select your area of work from the drop down list.
- Start the e-learning - it should take a couple of hours at most to complete.
- Try the quiz at the end to see how much you have learned about dementia.
Skills for Care
Dementia units and qualifications for the adult social care workforce are available from the Skills for Care website.
- The Alzheimer’s Society is a membership organisation which works to improve the quality of life of people affected by dementia. There is also a dementia helpline on 0845 3000336.
- Dementia Care Matters offer a range of courses and publications to inspire care settings to provide excellent dementia care.
- NICE has developed quality standards for people with dementia.
- Towards excellence is a good resource for finding out what is happening in Nottinghamshire around dementia.
- The Department of Health have compiled some useful information about workforce development and dementia and the way in which this is being taken forward throughout the UK.
- Age UK works to improve later life for everyone by providing life-enhancing services and vital support.
- Information Prescription is a free directory that makes it possible for people to request information about long term conditions when they need it.
- The Dementia Gateway is a great tool for getting information about dementia.
- AT Dementia provides information on Assistive Technology that can helppeople with dementia live more independently
- Dementia Postive is a website which encourages communication, consultation & creativity with people who have dementia
- Dementia UK is a national charity, committed to improving quality of life for all people affected by dementia.
- The Care Quality Commission (CQC) has developed a Life Story work book
- The Bradford Dementia Group have developed a DVD and workbook called Ex memoria which is about one women’s experience of dementia.
- Horsesmouth is an online mentoring platform where people affected by dementia can offer each other informal information and advice.
- Innovations in Dementia work with organisations to make sure that people with dementia can continue to take part in communities and have active lives.
- Dementia Web have lots of useful resources and dementia information.
- Dementia Action Alliance
- Princess Royal Trust for Carers and the Carer’s Federation are useful websites for carers.
- The National Dementia Challenge looks to build on the work of the National Dementia Strategy. Its main aims are to:
- give a boost to dementia research
- address quality of dementia care
- increase public understanding of dementia
- make communities more dementia friendly.
- Living well with dementia - a national dementia strategy - published by the Department of Health in February 2009. This has been updated with some examples of best practice in the East Midlands.
- Quality outcomes for people with dementia is the Department of Health’s outcomes-focused implementation plan for the national strategy.