This page is not being actively updated or is part of our website archive. We've left it here for reference - More information about this banner

Nottinghamshire provides a wide range of support to children and young people with special educational needs and their families. We can only do this by working in partnership with parents, carers, children, schools and other agencies.

Each of the headings below provides a link to other web pages or documents which will give you specific information about our services and how we can help and support your child.

What are special educational needs (SENs) and what is Nottinghamshire County Council’s policy for supporting children and young people with SEN who live in the county?

What support is available in school for a child/young person with SENs?

What is a formal assessment and what is a Statement – when are these appropriate and how do you apply for them?

What support is made available to schools?

How can I get involved with school to help support my child’s special needs?

My child is under 5 years old. What help and support is available to support their special educational needs?

What types of school are there that my child could attend?

What are the options if my child is unable to attend school regularly for a medical reason or because they have been excluded?

Does my child have a special transport need?

How will my child be involved in decisions relating to his/her special needs?

What happens at an annual review meeting?

How is my child's year 9 transition planned?

Answers to questions that people often ask.

Where can I find out more? Other sources of information [PDF 119KB] pdf logo

Additional information can be found on the Parent Partnership Service website. The Parent Partnership Service offers impartial information, support and advice to parents to enable them to make informed decisions about their child or young person’s education.

We hope that you find these pages useful and would welcome any feedback you may have.

Parent Partnership Service

The Parent Partnership Service provides information, advice and support to parents of children with special educational needs. Visit their website at
How do you rate this information / service?