You will require a petroleum licence if you store petrol in a tank or bowser for delivery into the fuel tank of a vehicle or other internal combustion engine.

When you apply for a licence you will receive a written acknowledgement. An officer from the Trading Standards Service will then contact you to discuss your application and the proposed storage and dispensing arrangements.

How much will it cost?

The fee for a licence is payable annually. The current fees are:

Amount Fees from 01 April 2010
Up to 2500 litres £42.00
Exceeding 2500 litres but not exceeding 50,000 litres £58.00
Exceeding 50,000 litres £120.00
Transfer of a licence £8.00

This information is a brief summary of the law as it relates to the storage of petroleum spirit. It is not an authoritative document on the law and is only intended for guidance. For further details or clarification please contact the Trading Standards Service.

How to apply and pay

Petroleum Spirit Licence Form [PDF 159KB] pdf logo fill in and return with a cheque made payable to Nottinghamshire County Council. (The document is in pdf format for which you will need Adobe Acrobat reader. You can download this free of charge by going to plug-ins and viewers)

We will process your application and will normally send you a licence/registration document and receipt for your payment within three working days. In the event that we are unable to send these within this timescale we will contact you to explain the reason for the delay.

For further information contact:

Trading Standards
County House
100 Chesterfield Road South
Dale Close
NG19 7AQ

Tel: 01623 452005

How do you rate this information / service?