Any person intending to supply fireworks or expose for supply fireworks all year round requires a fireworks licence.

How much will it cost?

The fee for a licence is payable annually.
Fees from 1 January 2005
New licence or renewal £500.00

You will not need a licence if you only intend to supply or expose for supply fireworks during the following periods:

  • on the first day of the Chinese New Year and the three days immediately preceding it;
  • on the day of Diwali and the three days immediately preceding it;
  • during the period beginning on the 15 October and ending on the 10 November; or
  • during the period beginning on the 26 December and ending on the 31 December.

If you only intend to supply fireworks during the above periods you will still be required to register your premises for the storage of explosives. Certain exemptions apply to short term storage of fireworks, please contact Trading Standards for more information.

More details about storing explosives

This information is a brief summary of the law as it relates to the supply of fireworks. It is not an authoritative document on the law and is only intended for guidance.

How to apply and pay

  • Download the Fireworks Licence Application form [PDF 84KB] pdf logo (The document is in pdf format for which you will need Adobe Acrobat reader. You can download this free of charge by going to plug-ins and viewers) then fill in and return with cheque made payable to Nottinghamshire County Council

We will process your application and will normally send you a licence/registration document and receipt for your payment within three working days. In the event that we are unable to send these within this timescale we will contact you to explain the reason for the delay.

Further information

Download the Fireworks - A Guide for Retailers [PDF 88.9KB] pdf logo business information sheet or contact:

Trading Standards
County House
100 Chesterfield Road South
Dale Close
NG19 7AQ

Tel: 01623 452005

How do you rate this information / service?