The County Council actively engages with local businesses, both the larger employers and smaller enterprises, seeking their views on Nottinghamshire’s economy, the issues facing businesses, the support available to them and doing business with the County Council.
Councillor Keith Girling is Nottinghamshire County Council’s Business Engagement Champion. Supported by the Economic Development Service, he engages with businesses at networking events, business clubs, business awards and at one-to-one visits.
A crucial part of the business engagement work has been the establishment of the Nottinghamshire Business Engagement Group, the first meeting of which took place at County Hall on 12 July 2010.
The Business Engagement Group includes representatives of Nottinghamshire County Council and key business organisations.
The specific objectives / role of the Group may be summarised as follows:
- To provide strategic advice to Nottinghamshire County Council (the Council) on issues that affect the business community and to assist in developing solutions to those issues. This will include short, medium and long-term trends and competitive influences that affect the performance and direction of the local economy and the impact of government policies at a national, regional and local level on business creation, viability and growth
- To provide an effective means of communication between the Council and the Nottinghamshire business community
- To assist the Council to engage with the business community on matters of significance including the dissemination of information to and consultation with businesses
- To provide advocacy in association with the Council to enable effective lobbying of Government on matters affecting the economic prosperity of Nottinghamshire and its businesses
- To capitalise on the opportunities presented by the business community in Nottinghamshire
- To ensure that the needs of businesses are considered in the development of the County Council’s Strategic Plan and delivery of services.
To ensure that a wide cross section of the local business community is represented membership of the Nottinghamshire Business Engagement Group includes senior representatives of the following organisations representing business interests across Nottinghamshire:
- The Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire Chamber of Commerce www.dncc.co.uk
- The Federation of Small Business www.fsb.org.uk/notts-and-derby
- The Institute of Directors www.iod.com/eastmidlands
- The Confederation of British Industry www.cbi.org.uk
- First Enterprise Business Agency www.first-enterprise.co.uk
- Representatives of a number of Nottinghamshire Business Clubs including:
- Mansfield 2020 www.mansfield2020.com
- Newark Business Club www.newarkhub.co.uk
- No Nonsense just Networking
- Nottingham City Business Club www.nottinghamcitybusinessclub.co.uk
- North Notts Business Connections www.nnbconline.co.uk
- Retford B4B
- Rushcliffe Business Partnership www.rbpbusiness.org.uk
- Worksop Business Club
For further information about the Nottinghamshire Business Engagement Group please contact the Economic Development Servic
Tel: 0115 97 72048